Toosum Healthy Snack Bars - Review

*Toosum reached out to me on Twitter and asked if I would be interested in sampling their snack bars. Although the products were free to me, my opinions are honest and all my own!*


I am fairly new to the healthier eating club. I have tried a few diets/lifestyle adjustments and have seen results here and there with what I was trying to achieve. As far as snacks, I don't know as much. Recently, I've been avoiding too many carbs unless I'm running, but even then I try to be careful as to what exactly it is that I am eating.


At first glance of each bar, it looks and sounds great! Coconut and banana? Can't go wrong! Something about this one just didn't make it into my top favorite bars though, flavor wise. I was a bit disappointed. I decided I would check out the ingredients.


I was happy to see things that I am already familiar with, like chia seeds and rolled oats. This made me feel better about eating the bars that I was testing and reviewing. My concerns were in seeing the words cane and syrup. Also, upon checking out each bar and seeing it's nutrition facts, I noticed how many carbs are in just ONE bar. Wow, 19 and 20 in another?! This required further investigation, and after seeing this post made on their Twitter account, I felt better about what I was eating. Here is the nutrition facts if you would like to see them for yourself.


I tried the cranberry and acai  bar next. The flavors together were not as bad as the first one but still did have that weird aftertaste. I did like the crunchiness that the seeds provided and the smooth textures and smell of each bar.





The cherry and plum wasn't too bad but I was starting to see a trend. I think some of the bars needed more sweetness but if I were in charge, I might go for something like Stevia to sweeten them up. I could be wrong but I think maybe the baking soda added at the very bottom of the ingredients could be the culprit for that off flavor I just can't figure out. I notice when I need it in a certain recipe, that if it is not balanced out just right, it changes the whole thing into something almost inedible. This is on the verge of that in some of the bars, not all.





I saved the best sounding one for last and obviously the best tasting out of the bunch as well! I think I would prefer that all of the bars were flavored like this one. The ingredients did include Greek Yogurt (yum!) and all around rounded out blueberry flavor. The smell and texture was perfect and the taste kind of reminded me of those breakfast pastries as a child. Two thumbs up!


 You can click on any photo that you would like to see a bit closer. 


 Overall, the bars were decent. I don't think I would actively seek them out if they were in the store. Also, I do not make very many purchases online, so I don't think I would buy them there either. However, if I saw them in the store I currently shop at, I might be more likely to buy them. As I have read, currently, they only sell them in a few stores in NY. This would make it kind of impossible for me to get to them as I live in Texas. I don't normally buy snack bars for myself but would be willing to start since I try and get in a few good running sessions throughout the week with my son. Another note, is that the bars actually kept me full, so all I would have to do is to keep hydrated and get out there and get my exercise on!

As always, I hope you have enjoyed reading my product test and review as I try out something new and share it with my readers. Please support me with a compliment (ex. following me on Twitter, Facebook, & Instagram, also by liking/sharing & subscribing to my blog postings.) and any links on a blog posting should take you to a page to learn more about a product or show you a bigger picture.

Have a great weekend!










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Popped Passion Customized Popcorn Cakes

Kitty Kick Stix Catnip Kicker Toy - Review and Giveaway!

Beech-Nut® Naturals™ - Mommy Party