Ore-Ida Totchos - Recipe & Review

* I recently received a coupon for a free Ore-Ida product in my complementary Jingle Voxbox from Influenster. All opinions are my own unless otherwise noted.*

I was asked to come up with some recipes and do a review on my Ore-Ida product selection. We chose the Extra Crispy Tater Tots because I figured you can't really go wrong with crispy tater tots and my family will devour them up quickly. I just recently was able to remember and go up to my local grocery store to pick them up. That's the only small problem I have with coupons in my Voxbox but hey, free is free, right?!

As soon as I brought the product home, "Dads2cents" decided to make a couple to test them out. The bag said 425 degrees for around 20-25 minutes (sorry, I  didn't remember to get a good picture of the side for clarification.) I took them out, we tested a few and they were not fully cooked (had some lumps in them) or crispy. They were a bit more salty than I would have thought as well. He decided not to eat them as he said he did not like them. He told me to save them for the kids, so I did.

My second attempt, I actually had more of a plan in mind. I have been seeing posts about what is called "Totchos." You may be asking what a totcho is, so you can click this link to see a description of what they are and the different varieties you can make. Totchos Recipes

So, I cooked the entire bag to the exact instructions and then added around 10 more minutes to make them actually crispy. My daughters do not really eat or like potatoes, but if it's crispy, they are more likely to eat them. I added bacon and then a layer of cheese on top of the potatoes, at which then I placed back in the oven to melt the cheese for around 5 or so minutes. I chose the following recipe and made it my own by doing just ranch and sour cream off to the side, in a separate bowl. Loaded Totchos

To me, the recipe was just okay. To my kids, they loved it! I really didn't think about it being like nachos or a loaded baked potato at all. I decided I would add some flavored tortilla style chips into my ranch/sour cream dip, this gave it more flavor for me and I then enjoyed it. The kids just ate them with the cheese and bacon bits. You could serve this with a guacamole or salsa, probably even dip in ketchup. For me and my kids, I decided to place the sauce to the side because they don't normally eat sauces on things. This is a better option for those with picky eaters.

Some ideas to try:

- Homemade guacamole (I can't share the family recipe because I have never been told what all of the ingredients are, but a quick search online and you can find lots of ways to make it!)

- Lots of recipes online for you to try out - Totchos Recipes (I think I want to make some breakfast ones next time with eggs and sausage or bacon)

- Try like me and add some type of flavored or unflavored tortilla chip

- Add mashed tater tots to pancake batter (I would use a mix to save some time) to make potato cakes

- Mash tater tots and put on the waffle iron!

- Lots of different sauces to dip (like salsa, ketchup...etc. - get creative!)

- Great for parties (especially a Super Bowl party!) but then you might want a bigger bag!

Final thoughts...Would I buy this product? I am going to say yes, but only occasionally. Why? Well we don't really eat a lot of tater tots in the house as is. The kids liked them. I could try to come up with other recipes to test try. I would try them at breakfast and maybe for certain parties. A bit salty for my liking and they took longer to cook to actually become crispy.

Links:

- Ore-Ida Totchos Recipes (from Kraft)

- Ore-Ida website

- Influenster (my referral link) - Influenster is a site where you connect all social media platforms that you use. Invite your friends. Answer questions called Snaps and if you qualify then you would be sent a Voxbox like I just told you about in this post. If you would like to see the entire Jingle Voxbox unboxing, click the highlighted link. You can also use the label to the side of my blog and click Voxbox or Influenster.

- Popular hashtags currently for the brand and brand challenges on Influenster are #OreIdaTotchos and #contest. You can follow those on social media outlets to stay informed if you would like.

Pictures coming soon!

* I recently received a coupon for a free Ore-Ida product in my complementary Jingle Voxbox from Influenster. All opinions are my own unless otherwise noted.*











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Popped Passion Customized Popcorn Cakes

Kitty Kick Stix Catnip Kicker Toy - Review and Giveaway!

Beech-Nut® Naturals™ - Mommy Party